Run down Serrano River and paddle in front of Serrano Glacier, a remote and unique area in Patagonia.
Bernardo O’higgins National Park
- Duration: 2 days
- Kayaking Level: 2 to 3
- Physical Level: Medium to High
- Start Point: Pick up at Puerto Natales 7:30 hrs
- Finish Point: Drop off at Puerto Natales 18:00 hrs
Distance: 26 Miles / Paddling Time: 6 – 7 HoursThis amazing
Overnight Sea Kayak trip starts in Puerto Natales. We’ll pick you up at your hotel on a private transportation. The drive to Serrano river’s shore is about 1.5 hrs. After loading the kayaks the guide will give you a brief talk about safety and instructions for paddling efficiently. Also, details about the route, weather and river conditions.
We’ll run down the Serrano River till the Serrano waterfall (1.5 hrs). Here, there’s a portage of the Kayaks for about 100 m. We’ll keep paddling down River, in our journey to Serrano Glacier. There’s amazing views of Tyndall Glacier and Geike Range along the way.
This is a very unique experience because this is a remote area!
The River is surrounded by beautiful Coigue and Cypress Native forests. After a couple of hours, Balmaceda Mountain will apear on the shores of Ultima Esperanza Fjord. Finally, the amazing Serrano Glacier will welcome us with an spectacular view.
Night at Puerto Toro Campsite (Facilities: Toilets) / Snacks, Lunch and Dinner included
Distance: 2 Miles / Paddling time: 1 – 2 Hours
The day starts with a portage of the kayaks for 50 meters from the camp to Serrano Lagoon. Paddling among Icebergs in front of the Magnificent Serrano Glacier is an unforgettable experience! The first sun rays will give us unique views of this beautiful place.
This icy scenery is specially sheltered! A small stop on a secret lookout will give us a different perspective for awesome views of the Glacier.
Back to camp, after packing all the gear our group will get on “21 de Mayo” catamaran, to go back to Puerto Natales. There is a stop at Perales Ranch, where we’ll be delighted with a traditional Magellan Lamb BBQ. Finally, the catamaran stops in Puerto Bories, where our private transportation will be waiting. This will be around 18:00 hours.
(Breakfast, Snacks and Lamb BBQ Lunch included)
* Wind is a very normal factor in Patagonia, if you choose to do this trip, you have to consider that paddling with wind may be a possibility. * Sometimes the Lagoon can be blocked with too many pieces of ice, as a result, it won’t be possible to paddle in the Lagoon.
- Private transportation from and back to Puerto Natales
- Certified Guides: British Canoeing, American Canoe Association & Wilderness First Responder
- Double Kayaks (HTP Laminated Kayaks)
- Dry Suits, One piece Polartec suit, Life Jackets, Neoprene Gloves, 5mm Booties, 2mm Wet socks, Spray deck, Dry bags, Compact Waterproof camera or smartphone case, Helmet & Neoprene hats.
- Safety equipment: Bilge pump, tow line, VHF radio, Satellite communications, First aid kit, Hypothermia kit
Comfort is so important!
We include the best quality camping gear. We want you to rest well so you can enjoy the paddle the next day!
Camping Gear Included:
- The North Face Mountain 25 tents
- Thermarest Saros Synthetic Sleeping bag
- Thermarest Liner
- Thermarest inflating pillow
- Thermarest inflating Mattress
That you have to bring on this overnight sea kayak trip
- (1) Sunglasses (with real UVA protection)
- (1) Water bottle (we bring water to refill)
- (1) Hat
- Sun block 45spf minimum
While at Camp:
- (1) Head lamp
- (2) Synthetic quick drying long sleeve shirt & long pants
- (2) Smart wool or synthetic socks
- (1) Fleece or synthetic jacket
- (1) Waterproof jacket and pants
- (1) Pair of trail shoes
- (1) Gloves
- (1) An extra change of underwear
- Insect repellent
- Know how to swim
- Previous kayak or canoe experience
- Good health and physical condition
- Open minded and with a good attitude 🙂
By the way, we grow many of the veggies we use in our trips!
We have an organic, no dig garden close to Puerto Natales where we grow fruits and vegetables which are delicious, fresh and higher in nutrients. The intention is to give you the best quality ingredients because food is a very important part of our trips!